What a Doula does ~
As your doula, my role is woman-centred, which means I am primarily there as support to *you* as a birthing mother. I am there to nurture you, and meet your needs during labour and birth. I am there to help you and your partner create that safe, cosy and relaxed environment, in which you, your body and your baby feel most comfortable to birth wherever you are. I understand when you need me to step up and when you need me to step back. I can be as hands-on as you wish, or I can be that comforting presence in the background, ready to be there when you need me. I offer a comforting, reassuring, knowledgeable and, when need be, active presence in your birthing environment. I am there for you during labour and birth physically, emotionally and spiritually. My continuity of care builds trust between myself, you and your partner and we will work together to create the perfect environment and atmosphere for you to calmly and comfortably birth your baby, whether at home, a birth centre or in hospital.
Why Hire a Doula?
- Shortens labour by an average of 2 hours
- Significantly reduces the use of synthetic pain relief
- Decreases the need for oxytocin to induce labour
- 50% less likely to have a caesarean birth
- 40% less likely that forceps would be used to assist delivery
- 60% less likely for epidural to be requested
- Increases success with breastfeeding
- Encourages fathers to feel more confident and involved
My promises to you as your Doula ~
I will be on call for you from 38-42 weeks pregnant. Should you have your baby outwith these dates, I will do my best to be there for you.
* I will meet you and your partner at least twice for a couple of hours, during your pregnancy, to get to know you and understand your birth wishes and preferences. I can also assist in preparing your Birth Preferences.
* I can offer you a HypnoBirthing session – with relaxations, birth positions, visualisations etc*
* I can loan you birth balls and/or other relaxation and birth preparation aids, including resources and books to help make your journey more knowledgeable and informed.
* I will be available to chat on the phone throughout your pregnancy, should you wish it. All communication is strictly confidential.
Should you wish to combine the complete 5 week Mongan Method® course in addition to my full doula support, please contact me for details as I offer combined rates for both course and birth doula support, or see my website: www.lanarkshirehypnobirthing.co.uk for course information.
FOR YOUR BIRTH
* I will stay with you and your partner for as long as you need me – from any point in your labour, and throughout your birth, resting when possible.
* I willsupport you with HypnoBirthing techniques for a calm, comfortable, empowering experience.
* I will protect the space for you to birth in, creating a calm, safe and secure atmosphere.
* I can help to physically support you during labour, in a variety of active birth positions.
* I will nurture you with nourishing food and drinks.
* I will support and nurture your partner to engage fully in the arrival of your baby.
* I will give space when or if you desire privacy.
* I will respectfully and clearly communicate with others, advocating on
your behalf, if required.
* If wished, I can also take photos, to record your birth journey or those precious first moments together after your baby arrives.
I also have a birth pool (large enough for two adults!) and supplies to borrow if you are planning a home birth (you would need to get your own sterile liner).
after baby arrives
After your baby is born, I will visit you at least once, to offer any support needed and, if you wish, to talk over and debrief the birth. I can offer information on self-care post-partum and my expertise also includes breastfeeding support as I am a Breastfeeding Network-trained Breastfeeding Helper as well as having years of practical experience as a breastfeeding mum! I also bring nutritious vegetarian/vegan homemade soup and other items to nourish yourself through the early days of parenthood and your post-partum period.
HypnoBirthing Doula support package is £650.
- 2-3 Antenatal Visits – £90
- 4 weeks on call (38-42 weeks= 28 days @£10/day) – £280
- HypnoBirthing birth support – £200
- 1-2 postnatal visits – £80
Complete HypnoBirthing Course + Doula package is £850.
- Private 5 week HypnoBirthing Course (includes antenatal visits) – £325 (usual private course price £400)
- 4 weeks on call (38-42 weeks= 28 days @£9.10/day) – £255
- HypnoBirthing birth support – £200
- 1-2 postnatal visits – £70
All costs are negotiable. Please see below for details of everything that is included in the fee. Payment plans and special rates are available, too as I passionately believe that price should not be a barrier to mums-to-be seeking a positive birth experience!
If you would like to chat over the phone or arrange a face to face meeting to see if you feel I am the right person to support you in this amazing journey, please do not hesitate to get in touch.